Saturday, March 26, 2011

March 25 (Game 63): Baseball vs. Pittsburgh

What: Baseball vs. Pittsburgh

When: Friday, March 25, 3:00 PM

Where: J.O. Christian Field

Result: Win 7-0

This was our Big East home opener and turned out a lot better than last game. Matt Barnes pitched a complete game shutout, and we actually scored some runs and won 7-0. I had LJ Mazilli in the "Run of the Game" Contest which I didn't know existed last game. He was on third with the bases loaded and two outs in the bottom of the first inning, but the umpire blew a call at first and called Batter/Runner John Andreoli out at first when he was clearly safe to end the inning. Nevertheless, between the shutout yesterday and the 15 scoreless innings I witnessed yesterday after arriving in the middle of the first, in the 24 innings I have witnessed, UConn has not allowed a single run. Not bad.

Also, for all the veteran UConn baseball fans out there, does anyone know if they started playing "Sweet Caroline" at the end of baseball games this year or if they started earlier? When I watched webcasts last year, I don't recall them playing it, but that could easily be because they shut off the audio after the final pitch. According to Wikipedia, "It is also played at sporting events by Florida State University and the University of Pittsburgh". It doesn't mention us. If anyone wants to find a reliable source (by Wikipedia policy, this blog is NOT considered a reliable source, particularly if I edit the page myself) and add our baseball team to the Wikipedia page, go ahead. I may try to find one too.

There are two more games today and tomorrow. And, with the buses running today since it's the "make-up class day", I'll be able to take the Blue Line directly to I-Lot across from the Stadium instead of having to take the Weekend Shuttle to the Co-op and walk the rest of the way. And I'll be taking the Blue Line to South Campus Dining Hall to eat breakfast in a few minutes since the other dining halls don't open until 10:30. Curse my alarm for waking me up at 6:00 since I forgot to put it in Weekend mode. Go Huskies!

No comments:

Post a Comment