Saturday, January 21, 2012

Game 2-3-71: Men's Ice Hockey vs. Robert Morris

What: Men's Ice Hockey vs. Robert Morris
When: Friday, January 20th, 7:05 PM
Where: Mark Edward Freitas Ice Forum
Result: Loss, 4-3

Well, I must admit I'm a bit embarrassed by this one. We were down 4-1 a few minutes into the third period, and thinking we had no chance, I left. Well, we came storming back and made it 4-3. If we won, I'd be even more embarrassed, but we didn't.

The t-shirt in question
But as for what I did see.... This was my first hockey game of the year, and also a Blue Line meeting. For those who don't know, the Blue Line is the UConn ice hockey student fan club. Well, they were giving away free t-shirts at this one, and as you can see, they look a lot like last year's.

Well, after eating free pizza for half an hour, I got into my seat to watch the game. Puck drop was at 7:05. And it looked close for a while until Robert Morris got a goal to make it 1-0. It went to the end of the first period that way. In the second period, Robert Morris went up 4-0 and it seemed all but over. But for the time being, I remained in my seat and it worked out. A puck flew into the stands and lodged right on the seat in front of me. I reached over and picked it up off the empty bench. After verifying that it was ok, I picked it up and pocketed it. My lucky day, I guess. Well, it really wasn't.

Jordan Sims got a goal to make it 4-1 going into the break, but it didn't look like it would be enough. Then I left, thinking we had all but lost. But when I got back to my dorm, I found we had lost 4-3, and almost sent the game to overtime. The moral of the story? Never leave a game early. I'll start with that tonight. 7:05 vs. Robert Morris again. We are now tied with Niagara for fifth in the AHA standings. The Purple Eagles play American International and should win again tonight. So we need to win. Go Huskies!

No comments:

Post a Comment