Thursday, September 8, 2011

UConn Sports Update, September 8, 2011

First of all, I'd like to wish a happy Birthday to my wonderful sister, Leanne. Second of all, I'll be having the surgery for my medical issues on Monday, so I won't be posting for a while after Sunday. I could be gone a week, maybe longer. I really don't know yet. (If you want more info on my medical issues, email me. I don't want to post it publicly.)

And now for the roundup.

Women's Volleyball: UConn won the first set vs. Sacred Heart on Tuesday evening, but lost the next three to lose the match. You can read the UConn release here. Jordan Kirk had a season high 17 kills. The final line score was 21-25, 27-25, 25-23, 25-19. The Huskies fall to 4-3 and will be in Durham, NH for games against Fairfield, Indiana State, and New Hampshire. Fairfield will be tomorrow at 4:30 PM, ISU Saturday at 10 AM, and UNH Saturday at 7 PM.

Field Hockey: In a surprise, UConn is still ranked #4 in the latest poll, behind UNC, Old Dominion, and Maryland. The Monarchs play tough games this weekend in Columbus against #5 Syracuse and Ohio State, so we could move up if they fall. ODU and UNC face off against eachother September 16th, so one of them will lose.

Men's Soccer: UConn is ranked #3 in the latest coaches poll, behind UNC and Maryland. Is this ACC bias, or a deserved snub? We will see.

Football: Football team travels to Vanderbilt this weekend at 7:30 PM on SNY. This will NOT be a Big East Regional Network game, and I don't know if SNY is producing it themselves, simulcasting Comcast Sports South's broadcast of it from Vandy's end, or  something else entirely. The only home game which is scheduled as of now to be on SNY Only and not BETV is October 1 vs. Western Michigan. So, that would not be a simulcast of the home team. As for the game itself, the Huskies are 1.5 point favorites. This will be a key game for the season as it will show if they can win the tough contests. This is the big travel game for Husky fans and the band, and it could turn out to be like the Michigan game last year  - an  overhyped loss. Let's hope not.

No comments:

Post a Comment