Sunday, May 8, 2011

Top Ten 2010-11 Number 10: Men's Soccer vs. Boston University, August 28

First, let me give you some background information on this. This is only the Top 10 games I attended. Hence, no basketball Big East or NCAA Tournament games (with the exception of the women's First Round NCAA) were eligible for inclusion. So before you ask "why wasn't Game X included?" check to be sure I was there.

Here we go with number 10:

What: Men's Soccer vs. Boston University (Game #1)

Where: Joseph J. Morrone Stadium

When: August 28, 2010, 7:30 PM

Result: Win 1-0

Where else to start this Top 10 but with my first UConn game ever? I decided to attend the Goal Patrol meeting and the game basically on a whim that morning, and I was instantly hooked on UConn soccer. Had I not attended this meeting, perhaps I would not be nearly the UConn fan I am now.

Although this was only an exhibition, there were several hundred students in the Goal Patrol, most of which I would never see at another meeting. It was tied after regulation, but we made a penalty kick in OT to win 1-0. It was a great experience for me to be at this game. Ultimately, it made me decide to go back for many more UConn games, and ultimately other sports as well. It was the beginning of my epoch as a UConn sports fan, and for that reason, it is memorable.

If there are any incoming freshmen reading this blog, I would encourage you to come to our opening meeting and game next year. It will probably be the Saturday of WOW Weekend. You won't regret it. And even if you do, don't go to any more games - you'll have wasted about two hours of your time. Even less if you decide to leave early because you hate it. That's fine; at least you'll have tried. But it was this first meeting that got me hooked on UConn sports - and it can do the same for you.

Game #9 will be posted tomorrow

2 comments:

  1. [...] Gregory's Gallery of UConn Games all about uconn games Skip to content HomeAboutThe Game Log ← Top Ten 2010-11 Number 10: Men’s Soccer vs. Boston University, August 28 [...]

    ReplyDelete
  2. [...] started the next day, I was back at UConn attending this game. It was nice – other than the soccer exhibition vs. Boston University over WOW Weekend, it was the only time I got to go to a game without worrying about [...]

    ReplyDelete