Tuesday, March 8, 2011

March 5 (Game 60): Men's Basketball vs. Notre Dame

What: Men's Basketball vs. Notre Dame

When: Saturday, March 5, 2011, 2:00 PM

Where: Gampel Pavillion

Result: Loss 70-67

This was disappointing. Senior Day, and also Kemba Walker Day apparently, since they honored him. He's almost certainly leaving early to go to the NBA, but at least he's graduating over the summer. I'll give him credit for that. Most early jumpers don't. Anyway, as for the game itself, we got off to an early lead then played back and forth basketball. Ben Hansborough appeared to be the key cog in the Irish offense, but he fouled out with ND down 5 and they still managed to come back. And the "Tyler's Better" chants were pretty amusing.

So that's the last home game for Men's basketball this year. We'll have two (assuming they beat the 16 seed) women's basketball NCAA Tournament games (plus possibly a third involving the 8-9 matchup) that I'll be at and then we're wholly into spring sports. My how time flies. It seems like just yesterday, I was attending my first UConn sporting event, a 1-0 soccer win over Boston University my first weekend at school. Kind of makes me wonder what would have happened if I didn't attend that game. I made a moment decision to attend the Goal Patrol meeting that night, and went to every meeting thereafter. I'd probably not have gone to any soccer games this season. The fact is, when I first came here, I didn't intend to go to any games other than basketball, football, and maybe baseball. But now I've been to Field Hockey, Men's and Women's Soccer, Men's and Women's Ice Hockey, and I would have been to a Women's Lacrosse game were it not for the nasty weather. And I will be at a Women's Lacrosse game in the future. Would I have done all that if I didn't get into it right away? I don't know. It's interesting to think about it.

So this basketball season has been fun, and here's to March Madness. Go Huskies!

1 comment:

  1. Emeka Okafor is another UConn "early jumper" who graduated early. That's impressive - two from one school - although the overall graduation rate is disappointing.

    ReplyDelete