Tuesday, February 1, 2011

January 31, 2011: Women's Basketball vs. Duke

What: Women's Basketball vs. Duke

When: January 31, 2011, 7:00 PM

Where: Gampel Pavilion

Result: Win, 87-51

Summary:

As I write this, I am snowed in yet again. Fourth day this semester school has closed due to the weather. Completely ridiculous. Anyway, as for the game, it was much more of a blowout than I would have expected. Huskies jumped out to a 13-0 lead before going up 23-2. And with that, the game was pretty much over. Duke was somewhat competitive for the rest of the game, but the deficit was too much.

On a side note, I almost caught a flying T-Shirt but it went right through my hands and down to the row below. And it was a pretty lobby toss so I should have had it. I'll never be a kick returner in the NFL. Oh well. It was a great game.

There is a semi-serious discussion going on at the UConn Fan Board about the Student Section chanting "Overrated" at Duke with us up by nearly 30 with 6 minutes to go in the first half. Some members describe it as "unsportsmanlike" and "offensive". This is ridiculous. The student section chants things that are a lot worse over the course of the game. While I'll grant that "overrated" is probably the most overused chant in college hoops, I really wouldn't consider it unsportsmanlike. Dumb, pointless perhaps, but not offensive or anything.

The next game I'll be at is the Men's Basketball game vs. Syracuse tomorrow night, but if it snows again (which it will) I don't know if the Roadshow will be on. Of course, the Orange may not be able to make it down here, in which case we'll see. The Connecticut Whale play Friday night at XL Center, so we'll see if they want a basketball game there Thursday night (if it's postponed). If not, I don't know what will happen. Play it at Gampel, perhaps? Too early to speculate.

No comments:

Post a Comment