Saturday, January 15, 2011

Fall 2010 Semester Countdown #2: UConn Wins Big East Soccer Tournamnet Quarterfinal vs. Depaul 2-0

Game #2 in our countdown of the best five games of Fall 2010 semester is the Big East Tournament quarterfinal between the Huskies and the DePaul Blue Demons.

Here is a summary from the original post
Well, the game was delayed until Friday, after it was scheduled to start on Thursday, a day after the other Big East first round games. But that didn’t matter. It got off, and went well. We won 2-0. And I was cheering incredibly enthusiastically. So now I have no voice almost. Oh well. And a bunch of people thought I was drunk. I have not drank any alcohol in my entire life. Just putting that out there. And I have a feeling I am going to end up on Youtube now. We will see. If so, I’ll be sure to post the footage, however hilarious/embarrassing it may be. And one guy (who looked about 45, and I believe was the father of one of the high schoolers who were basically cheering me for cheering) first pointed to a cup of hot chocolate that had been stuck in the fence, and said “did you drink from that?”. I told him no. He told me “What did you drink?” I told him the only think I drank was a bottle of water. He said “Well whatever that is, I want some.” It was water, not alcohol. Why must everyone assume I am drunk just because I am cheering incredibly rowdily and enthusiastically? Anyway, just some of the quotes I threw out there were referring to the chubby DePaul goalkeeper as “a Teletubby”, “A pumpkin Teletubby”, and “Tinky Winky’s Husband”. (It is a well-known fact that the purple Tellitubby is gay, see this article from BBC) I also hollered random names of foods, like “Look, cake. Go eat it!” and screamed “GO UCONN!” repeatedly. And there was that routine where I said “Hey Goalie, I have to take a Mamadou”, then proceeded to pantomine going to the bathroom, before mock wiping my (clothed) buttocks with a glove as if it were toilet paper and pretending to throw it on the field. Never before has “Mamadou” been used as a euphemism for a bowel movement. Boy, it was fun. But I have no voice. It was worth it all though. Completely and absolutely. GO HUSKIES! Now for the ratings. (And these will count because although it was a conference tournament, it was designated as a “campus sites” game rather than us hosting the entire tournament.)

 

All in all, it was a great atmosphere here at Morrone in spite of the postponement. Unfortunately, I was not able to attend the NCAA Tournament game against Brown as it was during Thanksgiving Break, and due to the power failure, I couldn't even watch a webstream or hear a radio broadcast. And we lost on penalty kicks (again). Oh well. I'm looking forward to another great season with the Goal Patrol next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment